Every mammal is born with an ‘endo-cannabinoid system (ECS)’, consisting of interconnected receptors throughout the entire body that proliferate in the central & peripheral nervous systems in the brain and spine. The ECS is also prevalent throughout the skin.
The sole function of the ECS is to enable the other 11 systems in the body to obtain and maintain balance – homeostasis. The ECS produces chemical compounds that assist it in regulating every mammal function. These chemical compounds are very similar in construction and function to chemical compounds that the hemp plant produces.
The most abundant chemical compound that the hemp plant produces is cannabidiol (CBD). When CBD is ingested it interacts with the chemical compounds in the ECS and assists in the function of establishing and maintaining balance.
Some of the benefits people (and medical research) report for CBD are:
- Reduces inflammation
- Relieves mild to chronic pain
- Reduces anxiety and depression
- Eliminates bacteria
- Effective anti-oxidant
- Regulates weight
- Heart health – reduces: artery blockage, cholesterol, blood pressure
- Skin restorer
To learn more about hemp, CBD and the endo-cannabinoid system, research:
- Dr Robert (Bob) Melamede, retired biochemist at Colorado University.
- Pr Raphael Mechoulam, organic chemist and professor of medicinal chemistry at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
- Richard Rose, CBD consultant and founder of The Hemp Nut, California.
- Dr Christina Sanchez, molecular biologist at Compultense University, Madrid.